Monday, July 10, 2006

The Fun of Portrait-Painting (Part 1)

“ My Nephew” was painted in year 2000, when he (Daryl) was only six years old then. What attracted me to paint him - was his adorable face and his black-and-white shirt that stood out well from the background.
Painting children is not easy, as they tend to move a lot. So this painting was also based largely on memory, and I even had to make some sacrifice to compromise with my nephew. For example: he would ask me to allow him to paint on my work, as a condition to carry on posing for me! Leaving me with no choice, I just had to oblige… Eventually, I decided to leave Daryl’s brushstrokes on my artwork (as seen on the grey part of the shirt). All that while, his mum and sister (Germaine) had been watching us in great amusement…
Nevertheless, I managed to complete this painting in an hour’s time. During my two years’ stay at my brother’s house, I had built up a strong bond with Daryl, through preparing milk for him, bathing him, fetching him to and from school... Watching him grow day by day also gave me a sense of hope. His innocence and gentle character had indeed brought me great joy, warmth and comfort during my personal trying times...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»