Monday, February 06, 2006

People Series

In figure drawing, it is of course easier to make observations on the body structure and tonal values if the model keeps still. However, at certain point of drawing, if the model does make occasional shifts, that can be interesting to capture too. I will then have to make gestural sketches based on quick observations and impression memory. Occasionally, with one hand holding the pen on the drawing paper, I will trace and record wherever my eyes are moving around the form, trying not looking at the paper. When I later get to see what I have drawn on paper, very often unusual, pleasant surprises await me. This is the great joy and thrill of drawing life models - with a glimpse of the fleeting moment.






This drawing below shows my niece after crying. I have forgotten why she was sobbing, leaning against the table. It happened within such a short time that I was only just in time to pick up an A4 paper beside me and do a quick capture of the moment. If I had used a better quality paper then, perhaps the effects would have been better.



No comments: