Friday, June 09, 2006

The Making of "The Resurrection of Christ" - Part 2

Amazingly soon enough, a few days later, an artist friend informed me of a Christian Arts event, where they needed an artwork to depict the theme of the event - "The Glory of the Resurrected Christ"! I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this! I smiled to myself, thinking, "This is really a great opportunity to show Christ's resurrected power, isn't it?"

Meanwhile, my brother-in-Christ, William, visited our "Feed the Birds" show, and as I greeted and thanked him for coming, I suddenly realized this brother - being musculine, sporty and full of energy - could well be my model for portraying Christ's vibrant resurrected image! What a timely divine appointment! So indeed, there he was, ending up as my model for the intended painting...

Studies for Christ






I first started making studies of William in various poses and close-ups of the face, torso, hands and legs... These studies were made as detailed and precise as possible for necessary reference, followed by enlarging and merging the drawings of body parts onto the 4ft-by-6ft canvas.

I chose to paint the figure using 'skin' colour straight from the tube to keep the consistency of colour on a big canvas, instead of the usual blending of red, yellow, blue and white (more suitable for smaller canvas size). I also tried to create an overall quiet, peaceful mood in the painting, rather than a 'loud, proclaiming' effect. Although the figures - Jesus Christ and the angels - were in motion, I hoped to portray the steadfast and humble side of Christ whom I know - always helping people and performing miracles in a calm, gentle manner. Indeed, I could experience the presence of God's love and peace when I was working on this painting too! How amazing...

No comments: